Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cranberry Fruit Tea Mead


The other day I was in the mood for some tea. We had this lipton caramel black tea which sounds delicious on paper. However in real life it is quite terrible. In attempts to make it taste something drinkalbe (I do not waste money) I poured in a bit of cranberry juice and gave it a taste



I was immediately struck by a thought...........this would make a pretty good mead. A recipe was born

Recipe
3.5lbs clover honey
2 cups Lipton Vanilla Caramel Truffle Tea- 2 teabags per cup
1 fresh tea bag in brew
24OZ cranberries fresh then frozen
Berries in a bag in 2 gallon bucket.
3 Cups of Northland Cranberry Juice (no preservatives)

Lavlin KV-1116
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast Energizer
Pectic Enzyme

I mixed the honey and water together on the stove to heat it up. I made sure not to let it bowl. I then added the tea and cranberry juice to the bucket. I put the berries in the bag.


Now you may be wondering, why a bucket? As you may remember with my strawberry melomel fruit makes mead foam. This is made using wine yeast and not just regular bread yeast so I wanted to make sure foam was not an issue. A two gallon bucket allows me to brew it with fruit and plenty of space for it to foam up with no clogged airlock.

To aerate I stirred with a spoon, the poured water in to around 1 gallon. I dissolved nutrients and pectic enzyme in water and added to mixture. Stirred again. Rehydrated the yeast per the instructions on the pack. While that was going on I again stirred the must to added the yeast in and also took a gravity reading. It read 1.092.

The first, 2nd and third days I aerated it once in the morning and again in the afternoon with a vigorous stir.

I let it go about 5 days on the berries, then I pulled out the bag and beat it with a sanitized pan so the berries would break open. It was a lovely shade of pink. I let it go another 6 days on the now crushed berries then racked it onto some potassium sorbate to kill the yeast off for backsweetning. The gravity was at 1.001 aka dry as sh*t.

Here it is on the left. It is a lovely shade of red. The jug next to it is the excess I made. Apparently I made a bit too much. I did not want to waste it so into a jug it went. Once the yeast dies off I will back sweeten then let it age to clear then bottle it. Depending on how much lees' (dead yeast) it drops I may rack it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment