Thursday, March 20, 2014

Honey Brown-A Beer Review

Hello, hello hello my readers. I am back with another beverage review! As you all know I brew mead. Mead is a wine where the main ingredient is honey. So when I cam across a beer that is made with honey you know ya boy had to scoop this one up. Its called "Honey Brown" and it is a lager. 


I was excited to try this one. I have been toying with the idea of making a beer with honey and really wanted to taste a commercial example. I was buzzing with anticipation on the way home.Get it? Buzzing? Because of honey? Bee's?.........I'll see myself out...


I cracked this open and took a whiff. It had an ok smell. Nothing really note worthy. I mean it was not bland nor really flavorful smelling. Just kind of in the middle. Anywho I poured up a glass and in my rush forgot to take a pic so here is one I found.  I found it to be a shade lighter than that pictures below shows. Though you can see the kind of head you will get on it.

This photo shows the color much better. 


Being really excited I took a swig......................................and was met with utter disappointment. It may because I was expecting more, but this beer could have been so much more. The flavor was just not there. I tasted the usual grain and malts of a lager with only the tinniest hint of a honey flavor. Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying its a bad beer. However I am not saying its a good beer either. I feel like it is an ok beer. For the makers of this beer to call it extra rich is either an inside joke or just a bad lie. It is the opposite of rich. It is quite weak feeling in your mouth. It is almost as if someone took a decent lager, dropped some budlight into it and bottled it. I just wish it had more flavor. Especially considering it was made with honey. I was really hoping more for some dry honey notes to come through.

I score this beer a 3/5 would not buy again. Maybe this was the world's way of telling me I need to get on with making beer..........................................


Adios folks!


2 comments:

  1. Just a heads up, Honey Brown is the craft beer of BMC fans. That likely explains the lack of richness. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete