Monday, October 28, 2013

How to Cook a Great Steak Part 2

For those of you just tuning in this is the second installment of how to make a great steak. Which should be pretty obvious with the 2 in the title but no one is judging you. When we last left off you had that big piece of meat in your hand ready to toss it in a pan. Before you do that though you need to gather your ingredients.

Kosher Salt
Black pepper (if you don't have a pepper grind, which you should, the ground box stuf works)
Butter
Olive or Grape Seed Oil.

You also need to let your meat come up to room temperature. We are almost there, I am promise you. I am going to presume that you have chose to cook a ribeye or new york strip. Why? Because those are my favorite steaks and you know being like me means you are awesome. Go ahead,

The first thing you need to do with your lovely piece of meat, other than unwrap it is to blot it with paper towels. You want to get the excess blood off it. I like to use a meth similar to the below photo where I take the steak and kind of roll it up so I can blot it all over at once. [PRO TIP: Do NOT use cheap napkins or paper towels that tear easily. It will just cause you to have to peel it off.]

You want to get the meat as dry as possible though don't go over board with it. You don't want to start rubbing off flesh. Just blot it. Depending on size you will like need more than one. If your meat is still cold this is the time to let it come up to temp. This can take a few hours if you have a thick piece of meat. 



Once the meat is clean of the excess moisture lay the out on a flat surface. Take a bit of your chosen oil the rub the meat down with your oil. You don't want it dripping wet. You want it basically to coat the surface of the meat. Once your meat is coated grind or sprinkle your black pepper on the steaks. On top of that give it a generous amount of kosher salt. You want to make sure that the entire surface is coated in salt and pepper. 
 Up close food pr0n's

After you salt and pepper both sides I like to let my sit a bit to let the meat suck in the seasonings. No more than 10 minutes usually. Now you need to take your favorite skillet and get it HOT. On a good electric stove that means 7 or 8. Once it hot go ahead and lay your steak down. Immediately set a timer for 60 seconds.

 While the steak is sizzling away on the pan grab a pair of tongues or your hands if you are crazy like me, and press down on the meat making sure to get as much surface area in direct contact with the pan as possible. You may be wondering why? Well salt and heat on red meat has some type of effect which forms a crust on the meat. This is quite tasty so you want that crust, this is how to get it. When a minute is up flip the steak, turn the heat down to 5 and let the other side crust up.

The reason for turning the heat down is that the steak will cook longer on this side. This will also be the side that is plate up.So you get a strong crust along with the steak cooking slowly.




Some people swear that you only need to flip a steak once, but I am not one of those. I flip as often as I feel is necessary though I don't flip it constantly either. I like to add butter to my steaks and let it brown on it to give it a bit more flavor.



Once the steak is done don't forget to grab the tongs and put the fat strip on the skillet too. 

Speaking of being done. Let us pause for a second. You may have noticed that I did not add any cooking times to any of this. Well there is a reason for that. Cooking times can vary a lot depending on how thick a piece of meat is. I like to go by feel. Let me borrow someone's hand to show you. The below chart seems silly but it is actually spot on. Once you get a few steaks under your belt you will be able to judge the time, until then stick to the chart. 

This is a chart that gives you a good understanding of the different degrees of steak doneness. I will say though this chart is a tiny bit misleading. If you look at this it looks as if rare and medium rare are completely raw in the middle. Which is not true at all if you cook it properly. Now if your steak was cold, and you quickly seared the outside it could be raw in the middle. Now this chart is clearly bias but I do agree that well done and medium well are both too done for a good steak. I eat mine medium leaning towards medium rare.

Once you get your steak to your desired doness, which I hope isn't well done, you need to let it rest. DO NOT CUT INTO THAT STEAK!! If you do you will ruin your hard work. When meat gets hot it expands, the juices flow. If you cut into it all your juices will run out onto the plate. Wrap it in some foil and sit it aside for at least 10 minutes.  Edit: It has been pointed out to me that you do not need to wrap your steak in foil. If you are going to keep it warm then you can just tent the steak with foil until ready to serve. 

Once you do you will be rewarded with a steak that is juicy (unless its well done) and tender. That was a good steak. 

5 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me hungry. Now I want to cook steak. I don't really understand the chart with the fingers on it though... how does that work?

    Btw found your blog from Zilvia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chart means if you do your hands in the same position and touch that part of your hand how soft or firm it feels should be similar to the streak. It's a helpful technique when cooking thicker pieces of meat. (Which should be the only kind you cook). A meat thermometer works best though.

      Zilvia shoutout!

      Delete
    2. Ahhhh now I get it. That's very cool, I'll have to try it next time.

      Delete
  2. OK, a couple things here, that as a steak purist, I feel I need point out.

    1. You mentioned letting your steak come up to room temp. This is exactly correct, but I'd like to elaborate that you can and should do this for an hour OR MORE. I read an interview of one of the top steak chefs in the country who says his steaks sit at room temp all day! The reason is you CAN'T cook a medium rare steak unless it is room temp. As you mentioned mid rare is THE only way to enjoy a steak.

    2. Shape your steak. Looking at your pics I see you haven't. Yes, season, and oil your steak (lightly with the oil) but when you are done, shape that steak up again! It makes a difference especially with presentation.

    3. NO NOT USE A NO STICK SKILLET! For crying out loud man, as a "foodie" you owe it to yourself to have a proper Cast Iron Skillet! Yes, I am yelling! A Cast Iron is THE vessel for cooking a steak properly and will put that puny sear you get with that notstick to crying shame. I'm telling you there is no crust like the crust you will get with a cast iron. And if you don't use a Cast Iron AT LEAST use a heavy stainless steel (like my AllClad MC2 stuff). Another quick point that Alton Brown taught me is a Non Stick is NOT MEANT FOR HIGH HEAT (like searing a steak). A non stick emits toxic fumes when overheated ie NOT GOOD FOR YOU.

    4. Cooking Method. Here is how I've done it and have read numerous recipes from the best restaraunt chefs in the country including Emeril, Alton Brown, and a few others. Turn your oven to 500 Degrees (yes, hot as hell). Put you cast iron in the oven. When your oven is done pre-heating and beeps, take out your pan and put it on a burner and turn it on high. Drop your steak in that blazing hot pan and get ready for some action. TWO MINUTES on the first side. This steak will sizzle and smoke like a champ. After two min, flip it and toss it in the over. Finish it in the over for 2 more minutes. 2:30 seconds for a little more towards Medium. Take that steak out and put it on a room temp plate and DO NOT WRAP IT IN TIN FOIL! When a steak rests it continues to cook for a bit. The foil will increase the residual cooking temp and you will fuck your perfectly mid-rare steak up. You can TENT a sheet of foil on top if you like but it isn't necessary.

    Calvin, I will guarantee you, if you follow these adjustments, you will be awarded with the best steak you have ever made. Trust me, I have a hard time spending $40 on a steak at a restaurant because with this method (if you buy a good quality steak) you can make an EQUALLY good steak for a fraction of the cost in the comfort of your home. I have spent years, and have cooked countless steaks perfecting this method. You won't be disappointed.

    Mel Russell III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel! Whats going on man? Great comment! Now when you say shape the steak, please elaborate on that. A good cast iron skillet will be added to the kitchen shortly. After I made this post and watched a few videos of chefs making steaks, I now cook my own steaks exclusively on a stainless steel pan. No more teflon.


      I agree on the spending money at steak places. The last time I ate at longhorns (thankfully not on my dime) I was disappointed. At medium rare the steak was no where as tender as my own and did not have as good of a flavor. I have not been back since.


      I have read about that method for cooking steak as well as seen videos. Not having a cast iron (yet) I have not tried it, but I know you are a foodie too. I am going to get a cast iron, try this method and make a post about it. How to cook a great steak part 3 coming soon..........

      Delete