Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Midnight Cherry Is Now In Secondary

Since we last were here not much action happened. I whipped air into the  brew in the first three days to keep the yeast happy. The gravity dropped down to 1.08. Which means, TIME FOR SECONDARY!

For those of you who are like "wut" go check out the first post to understand. 


This means it is time to rack. The yeast are pretty much out of food. 


Some people buy starsan. I just use bleach water with a thorough rinse. I have made almost 10 brews with no issues yet. 

That color is gorgeous. 

I wanted to added more cherry flavor so I picked up a can of cherry puree to split between the two jugs. I forgot to take a photo of the can, but it is the same can as the below photo. 
(Not my pic)

When they said puree they were not joking. This stuff was thinner than baby food. 
Here is where the midnight part comes in. Added more black currant juice. 

Not pictured is added .5lb of honey to the jugs as well. 

I sample the brew and while it is quite dry and fairly hot, the flavor is good and will likely improve with age. I also sampled the cherry, honey, black currant mix and that flavor was fantastic. I really think this will turn out to be a great mead. Now the wait. If these were on fruit pieces I'd rack in 2 weeks. Since I am using a puree I am going to just let this one sit for a while before I rack for clarity. 

I expect the next updated to be around 4-6 weeks from now. I will post an update then with any actions I take and how clear it is/is not. 

See you in some weeks!!

4 comments:

  1. So it will sit up to six weeks before it's ready to drink? wow amazing process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it would be more like 6 months or more. Wine has to age, as the fussels (that heat you feel when you drink something with alcohol in it) have to break down and mellow out. This was brewed at a lower temperature than previous meads so it should have less fussels in it.

      Delete
  2. That color is Cash money. Can't wait to see it in a glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should soon. I have this in seconday still but almost ready to bottle. It is s deep purple.

      Delete